As of 2013, Prune Juice will be published three times a year.
Please submit between December 1st and February 15th
Please submit between April 1st and June 15th
Please submit between August1st and October 15th
Submitting to Prune Juice:
Prune Juice is seeking submissions of quality senryu and kyoka in English from writers across the globe as well as submissions of quality haiga with a senryu twist.
We do not accept simultaneous submissions or previously published work*. We will only accept senryu and kyoka and will not consider any other form of poetry. Unfortunately, we don’t currently offer payment for the work we select. Prune Juice no longer publishes hard copy editions. Each edition is now free to read on the website.
Submit up to ten (total) senryu/kyoka, up to three haiga, and/or up to three haibun at a time via email. Make sure haiga and haibun are in the senryu/kyoka vein. (see the senryu/kyoka page for further description). Please send only one submission per submission period. Poems should appear in the body of the email – no text attachments will be read. Make sure that all haiga are in JPEG format and of a sufficient size to display within an A4 size journal. Attach each JPEG separately to your email or within a zipped folder file. If your haibun contains unusual formatting and/or multiple fonts, please send them in PDF format. Please ensure that your submission has ‘PRUNE JUICE SUBMISSION’ typed in the email’s Subject field. We no longer include biographical details.
Send all submissions to prunejuicejournal(at)gmail(dot)com. The format of the email address has been changed here to avoid spam.
What to include in your submission
1. Your name as you wish it to appear in publication
2. State or country of residence
3. Up to ten senryu/kyoka (in the body of the email, not attached)
4. Up to three haiga (see details above)
5. Up to three “senryu-flavored” haibun
Biographical details are no longer printed in Prune Juice. It is the sole intention of this journal to promote fine senryu and kyoka.
* NOTE ON THE TERM ‘PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED’: Here at Prune Juice, we believe ‘previously published’ poems are those that have been previously selected for publication by another editor. Therefore, any work that you have submitted to social networking sites, blogs and microblogs are still considered here at Prune Juice. In short, if your poem has only appeared publicly on Facebook, in your Twitter stream or on your personal blog, we will still consider it, as we believe this is not considered as a previously published piece.
Rights & Rules
All rights revert to the authors upon publication. This means, we require “First Rights,” meaning we want to be the first venue to present the poems to the public.
Authors do retain all rights to their work. However, we post everything we publish on the back-issues section of the website after print publication, and so require Non-Exclusive Electronic Permissions.